Search This Blog

Loading...

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Act of Valor: An End-Run Around Hollywood Thought Police?


So how is it that a movie with so little Hollywood hype (that I never heard of it until after it opened) blast enough profit in the first three days to earn back its investment X2?

Judging by the industry's silence about the film, you gotta wonder if they were hoping it would flop. By all accounts, it is not the typical leftist portrayal of American fighting men as savage raping racist warmongers, which probably explains why Hollywood didn't invest nearly the marketing into it as they did for, say, Brokeback Mountain. Whatever the reason, I'm proud of moviegoers who thought for themselves this time and spent their voting dollars on something different.

And boy, does it sound different--active duty SEALs as actors, reenacting real missions? I didn't even know that was legal. This goes a step beyond those classic war flicks that show a credit to the US Armed Forces during the opening music. You know, back before schools and movie studios began conditioning citizens to be ashamed of being American and insisting on how unexceptional our country is.

I've read that the film itself really doesn't get political. By Hollywood standards I guess that makes it "conservative" or "right-wing."

Whatever. I look forward to watching it.

1 comment:

  1. Hello!

    I am the Watercooler/ Awesome TimeWasters (an awesome section of stories people like to share!) editor at Before It's News (beforeitsnews.com). Our site is a rapidly growing people-powered news platform currently serving over 3 million visits a month. We like to call ourselves the "YouTube of news."

    I would like to personally invite you to republish your website on our site. Our visitors would love to read your content, and get to know you as a blogger/source of news. It's a great opportunity to spread the word about your work and reach new readers. Posting on Before It's News is 100% free.

    We will be featuring and promoting websites that republish with us on our homepage, on Twitter, Facebook, in our newsletter and more. Don't miss this opportunity to get fantastic exposure.

    We don't censor or edit work.

    I hope you'll choose to join the conversation at Before It's News. I know our visitors will be very interested to sample your work and learn more about you. I hope to hear from you soon.

    Best regards,
    Sebastian Clouth (@B4INTimeWasters)
    SClouth@beforeitsnews.com

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated! And I'll do my best to respond promptly.